Sompting, in West Sussex, is a village that is located in the district of Adur, found between Worthing and Lancing, at the bottom of the slopes of the South Downs. It is partly a new development from the Twentieth Century, and is considered to be linked to the town of Lancing.
The entire village of Sompting takes up a total area of 10.35 square kilometres, and has a population that numbers around 8,500. The name Sompting has origins rooted in Old English and means those that live near the marsh land. Most of the history of Sompting traces back deep rooted in history, through its buildings which now have modern day uses, but with rich historical pasts.
The main building in the village is Sompting Abbots which is the school in Sompting that was completed back in 1856. Before it was a school, it was a notable manor house in Norman times, owned by the abbot of Fecamp from Normandy, and later by the Middlesex abbot Syon Abbey,
Another historical building in Sompting is the Rectory building, which is now a nursing home but began its history back in 1154, when it was owned by the Templar Knights. At one point, the land surrounding the Rectory Building held a camp for World War II prisoners.
Sompting is bordered to the east by Boundstone Lane as there is a long stone boundary that physically lines the road that now encloses the side of the Boundstone Community College.
There have been several notable people throughout the village history living in Sompting including Alfred Longley who created ‘Jimmy Snuggles’ and Edward Trelawny.
Culturally, the town of Sompting is recognized for its mummers play, which is acted out by the Sompting Village Morris dancers on a regular basis and during the annual June Sompting Festival.